Thursday, May 1, 2014

Etgar Keret's writing has continued to enrapture me throughout the past week, and I find myself reading a story whenever I have a few minutes to spare. Today I read one of the most original and most eye-opening stories I ever have before. It is called "Pick A Color," and it starts off telling a story, describing everything and everyone through colors, a simplified form of race. The black man is attacked by white men, and then his wife is killed by a  brown man. He asks his yellow priest why God would do such a thing to him if God loves him, and instead of giving a normal priestly answer, he starts cursing at God. So God descends from the heavens, a battered, silver being, beaten by the golden gods, and tells the priest that He created the humans in His sorrowful image to watch them to pass the time. This is why the human race is so flawed.
This story was simply astounding to me. It was unlike anything I have ever read about God. It's written by a Jewish author, but depicts multiple gods. Not only are there multiple gods, but our God is the weak, persecuted one, not the great and almighty God we praise in services. The reason the human race is so broken and miserable is because we were made in the image of a broken and miserable God. But instead of being upset by this, the yellow priest and the black man feel blessed that they're going through the same thing as their most beloved God goes through. These ideas were so wild to me because I, like most people in the world, have wondered God lets such horrible things happen to people. There's always something a little bit dissatisfying about the answers. While this answer to the question may be disappointing, as it depicts God as a somewhat pathetic being, it's a little comforting thinking evil does not exist by God's choice, but because there's nothing God can do about it; that we can relate to God in that he is a lot more like us than we thought. Keret offers in this story an image of God that I have never been exposed to before, and I'm not saying that it is now the image that I have of God, but it is certainly a fascinating option to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment